Welcome to the informational page for the Christian Academy in Japan independent investigation into historical allegations of child abuse. Allegations have been made that children were abused in CAJ’s past. (See Initial Allegations page)
To date, the following organizations are jointly sponsoring the independent investigation:
- Christian Academy of Japan
- ECC-Serve Globally
- Resonate Global Mission
SEND US has commissioned a separate investigation to address allegations made against SEND US personnel. Findings of the CAJ investigation will be shared with the SEND investigation with the permission of the witness. Therefore, each individual survivor or witness may choose which investigation to interview with and could approve that the information gathered can be shared with SEND, or can choose to have a SEND interviewer present at their CAJ investigation interview. This would reduce trauma to the person being interviewed by avoiding two interviews, and comport with best practices.
The sponsoring organizations have commissioned this investigation to:
- Seek truth with transparency;
- Make sure that potential victims are addressed and treated justly;
- Hold accountable those who have offended;
- Hold accountable leaders who are culpable; and
- Provide information to the missions to improve their child safety process.
The sponsoring organizations will cooperate with the investigation, provide documents, and receive a child safety report from the investigation. They will also take action internally, based on investigative findings.
The investigation seeks to ascertain whether the allegations of abuse can be substantiated by a preponderance of the evidence. In addition, the following questions should be explored:
- Did personnel with CAJ or with the missions know about these allegations?
- If so, when did they know about them?
- What did they do about them?
- Was there any attempt to cover up allegations?
The investigation will investigate all allegations of child abuse to the level of reasonable suspicion, but findings will be made to a preponderance of the evidence.
Whether or not allegations can be substantiated, the investigation will identify possible ways to approach responsibility, provide healing, and remedy abuse.
If you or someone you know was a victim or witness of child abuse, please reach out to us through the Contact Form or call the number provided below and leave a message.